Monday, February 23, 2015

Cold Weather Chili with Cornbread Waffles


Just when I thought winter was officially over here in Las Vegas BOOM! Mother Nature sweeps in with a snow day to snap me out of my springtime daydream. Snow, really? In Vegas? Just last week it was almost 80 degrees! Oh well, another week or so of scarves and boots is just fine by me! Because that means it's chili weather! My chili recipe is one that I am rather proud of if I do say so myself. I like to serve it with cornbread. A while back we started playing around with all the different things you can make in a waffle iron (more on that in an upcoming post!), and guess what? Cornbread waffles rock! It's so much faster than baking in the oven! Here's what you'll need for my cold weather chili. As usual, I don't always measure or follow the recipe exactly, so use your judgement and preferences.
About 1 lb. ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, mashed
1-2 small cans diced green chilies
2-3 cans diced tomatoes
2-3 tbsp brown sugar
1/4-1/3 cup chili powder
Dash balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce (to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste
Box of cornbread mix (I like the sweet kind) and necessary ingredients


Brown your ground beef, then drain. Cook the onions and garlic in oil and add in your green chilies and chili powder. Mix well, then add the rest of your ingredients and your ground beef. Simmer, covered, for an hour or two, stirring from time to time. Add extra water if necessary. Top with grated cheese and sour cream.

For the cornbread, mix according to the package directions. You can bake it in the oven following the directions on the box, or go waffle style! To do that, it's super easy. Heat your waffle iron, the spray with Pam. It only takes a couple of minutes to cook through, and I think it's a cute and fun way to make all kinds of things. 

With the cold snowy weather all over the county, this would be a perfect family meal to warm you up! It's a go-to in our house for sure!



xo, Summer




To keep up with all things Belle & Grace, follow me on instagramfacebookpinteresttwitteretsy, and bloglovin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every one, and love hearing from you! All replies will be in the comments section, so be sure to check back!

xo, Summer