Saturday, January 10, 2015

DIY Gold Skull

 

I have been updating the downstairs half of my house little by little for a while now.  I can't wait to share with you the end result when everything is completely done, but for now I will share with you my latest project (that has since led to an obsession with spray paint). This super easy, DIY gold painted skull is now by far one of my favorite things I own.

This skull started out at my brother's old restaurant on the wall, then made it's way to my parents house, and eventually wound up with me. I was thrilled to have him. I've been really digging the glossy, white faux taxidermy trend for the last couple of years, so when I got my hands on this I immediately had a plans. I initially wanted to coat it in a glossy white, but the rough texture made me decide otherwise. So gold was my next option. I'm loving everything gold right now, aren't yall? From my jewelry to notebooks and planners, to home accents, anything! Anyway, when I saw this spray paint at Hobby Lobby I knew I had to give it a try.
 

It's Krylon Premium Gold Foil spray paint, and I am now obsessed with this product. I promise I'll show you all the other random things I used this stuff on another time. It's amazing! It comes a couple different colors, but the gold color was exactly what I wanted. It had just the right amount of metallic shine to it. Also, bonus...it's only $6! Like I said, you can get it at Hobby Lobby, and I also heard Walmart sells it, but I haven't checked. When all else fails, there's always Amazon.

The first part of this project was sanding the whole thing lightly, focusing on trying to get the old restaurant logo off. The logo didn't completely disappear, but it did help a little. After I wiped it down I just dove right in!

Being that I had never used spray paint before, I did some research on the best way to apply it. Since I am far from an expert, I would recommend you do the same if you're thinking of trying it for the first time. I just tried to go back and forth to give it a light first coating. The cool thing is it only needs a short amount of time to dry in between coats, per the instructions on the bottle.



After 2 coats were applied, I let it cure for a couple of days before hanging it in it's new spot on our living room wall! I wasn't sure at first if I was going to try to sand it down more between coats, or put a polyurethane topcoat on it for more shine, but I really loved the way it turned out. I love that you can still see the natural texture under the gold. So cool!



Doesn't he look handsome? I'm obsessed!


xo,
Summer




To keep up with all things Belle & Grace, follow me on instagram, facebook. pinterest, twitter, etsy, and bloglovin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every one, and love hearing from you! All replies will be in the comments section, so be sure to check back!

xo, Summer